Tuesday, October 19, 2010

Diamond in the Rough


Kevin and I were sitting around our table enjoying some down time on Sunday afternoon when some men approached the compound needing our "ambulance" service.  They had carried a young woman they had found collapsed in the bush from sickness.  It had rained heavily during the night and throughout the morning.  The road was, AGAIN, full of water and the tractor (ambulance) has been grounded for about 3 weeks awaiting a part to come by plane from Nairobi.  So, the tractor was unavailable. We loaded the woman into a beat up clunker of a truck (we are VERY surprised it runs) and loaded the guys, who would carry her across the river in a hand made stretcher, and their bicycles.  I squeezed in on top of their bikes with Abigail on my back.  As we drove through the bush, Abigail and I had to lean different directions to dodge the many branches and thorn bushes that had grown into the road. I had to keep repositioning my hands as I struggled to hold on.  I looked down at my left hand and my diamond wedding ring caught my eye.  "Diamond in the rough", I thought. . . "Diamond on the back of a dirty beat up truck, driving down a very rough road."  Then my focus was drawn to the sick woman in the front of the truck.  SHE is a "diamond in the rough".

This phrase is used to describe someone that has hidden exceptional characteristics and/or future potential, but currently lacks the final touches that would make them truly stand out from the crowd. The phrase is metaphorical and relates to the fact that naturally occurring diamonds are quite ordinary at first glance, and that their true beauty as jewels is only realized through the cutting and polishing process (Urban Dictionary).  

She, in her "unpolished state" DID stand out in the crowd in her need for help.  She, like a diamond, when  "seen" and recognized through the "rough" exterior for her heart and true beauty, is worth far more than jewels in the eyes of Jesus.  

The phrase kept ruminating in my soul throughout the day. The Lord spoke to me, "YOU are a diamond in the rough".

"But we are all as an unclean thing, and all our righteousnesses are as filthy rags; and we all do fade as a leaf; and our iniquities, like the wind, have taken us away".  Isaiah 64:6

 As I try to do "good deeds" to help the people of Sudan, I recognize they will fade away and are filthy rags in comparison to Jesus and His Glory.  I must allow His spirit to work in me to etch away my uncleanness and impurities to reveal His beautiful treasure in me.

 Our children, that we will be caring for soon, are certainly "diamonds in the rough" waiting to be discovered, seen, refined, and valued as children of the King.  We pray each child will allow God to polish them as they grow and find their true beauty and place in the Kingdom of God.  Through your support and prayers, you are partnering to help polish these precious diamonds!





Here is a little diamond being polished as she learns of Jesus' love for the people of Sudan and the joy she brings to them!

Daddy surprised Abigail with this dress from his trip to Ethiopia.  We had some professional photos made in Nairobi and JUST got them by plane yesterday!  She is looking more African . . . even with her pink crocs!







We are getting closer to bringing "diamonds" to Hope for Sudan!



The workers are putting the ridge vent on the dormitory. This lets hot air out of the building to help keep the kids cool. 











The almost complete dormitory with the workers finishing the trim around the windows.







Please keep in prayer for the kids moving in soon and the upcoming referendum in Sudan.


No comments:

Post a Comment